Honey Roasted Walnuts
April is officially here and this means one of our favourite things about Autumn has started- walnut picking! We were lucky enough to inherit a very old walnut tree when we moved into our home.
Every morning we go out and fill a bucket of walnuts, more often than not they will fall and look like the walnuts in the photo below however, if the weather is wild and they drop sooner than planned they will fall and the green skin currently around them will be turning black and be splitting open to reveal the walnut shell inside.
Walnuts are best enjoyed dry, so until the brown shell looks dry, you will need to store them in a single layer for up to a couple weeks.
We have been trialing all the ways we can use walnuts and one of our favourite most versatile ways to enjoy walnuts is roasted with honey. Honey Roasted Walnuts make a great topping for a salad, sprinkled on baking or can be enjoyed as a snack.
Our go to recipe is below:
- 1 1/2 cup of dried walnuts
- 3 tbs of Bonshaw Honey
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon chilli powder (optional)
- Sprinkle of salt flakes
- Pre-heat the oven to bake, 170 Celsius
- Line an oven tray with baking paper
- Melt butter over medium heat in a pot. Mix in the honey and optional seasoning and then mix in the walnuts
- Place the honey coated walnuts on the baking paper in a thin layer
- Bake for about 15 minutes, turning at least once during that time
- Once cooled, sprinkle with salt and store in an airtight container
The above recipe is the perfect amount for a snack, salad topping or on top of a cake. You can always add a variety of other nuts to the mix, or you can easily double the recipe.
We can guarantee that you'll find yourself reaching for these these yummy, crunchy, sweet & salty goodies throughout the week!